Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day 5, Master Bedroom Closet

I decided to tackle the master bedroom closet for a very selfish reason - it's small and I figured it wouldn't take long to finish!  This closet is my wonderful husband's closet.  He is the only family member who utilizes a closet, as everyone else's clothes are in the Family Closet/Laundry Room.  One reason he will not get on board with the Family Closet is that the laundry room is open to the kitchen, and he doesn't want to get dressed in there.  (Doesn't stop me!)  I think he just has the traditional notion that his clothes belong in his bedroom closet and that's that.  But for me, it means he does his own laundry, separately.  So no, I'm not complaining!  And don't worry, there's a Family Closet post coming in the future - I'm just nowhere near there yet.

My master plan is to start in my personal space (my side of the bedroom) and work my way through the bedroom, down the hall, down the stairs to the living room, dining room, kitchen and laundry room.  After that, I'll come back up and work on the 3rd floor (music/exercise/guest room), children's bedrooms, and finally, the dungeon basement (oldest son's room/school room).  When the weather breaks, the backyard and front porch will get thrown on the schedule too.

So, back to the closet.  Here's the before:





AFTER: First time this door
has been closed in years


AFTER: I organized hubby's t-shirts, sweats/pajama pants, and shorts amongst the wire dividers on the top shelf.  I pulled out about 50 empty hangers, half of them baby- and kid-sized hangers.  I organized his clothing, summer on the left and winter on the right.  I hung his belts, ties and bathrobe on the hook on the door.  I put the vacuum in here because this is the only room with carpet and the vacuum had been previously cluttering up the hallway.  I also keep my gift wrap and gift wrap accessories in here because this is where I wrap gifts.  The only other thing that went back in the closet was hubby's slippers.

NOW, lest anyone get jealous and think, "WOW, she's really got it together!  Who has time to organize everyday?" or feel inferior in anyway, let me nip that in the bud right now.  Here's what the rest of the bedroom looks like:

This is the box of junk I pulled out of the
closet and need to go through, ugh.
This is hubby's side of the room piled high
with laundry and Lord knows what
And this is the spot in front of my
dresser where I put all the stuff I
move when I declutter
Yes, this is desperation, folks.  This is pretty much what my house looks like in any given room on any given day.  And unfortunately, it has to get worse before it can get better!  But I am willing to persevere and work one step at a time, baby steps, to get this house in order, once and for all.  And when that happens, to God be the glory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment