Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Day 9, Kitchen - part 2 - Cabinets

The good thing about decluttering my kitchen cabinets is that there aren't that many of them!  I finished all of the upper cabinets today. 

My baking/spice/coffee mug cabinet - before and after

I already had some good organization going on in this cabinet, it just got a little cluttered.  This cabinet is over the kitchen sink, so it's hard to reach the top shelf.  I have all my spices, seasoning packets, extracts, sprinkles and cake decorating stuff in plastic Gladware type containers so I can easily pull out a container to find what I need. The large white bin on the upper right has all my baking supplies (electric mixer, cocoa powder, baking powder, cupcake papers, powdered sugar) Now I have room for all my coffee mugs and big huge cups with lids!  I also purged a huge amount of duplicates spices, old baking soda, etc. 


My coffee/tea/sugar cabinet - before and after

We'll look at the after picture.  Top shelf holds kids lunch boxes, glass measuring cups and some serving dishes we only use for parties.  Second shelf holds tea bags, sugar, honey and coffee filters.  Third shelf has coffee, coffee and more coffee!  Whole beans, ground, instant, regular, decaf.  We are all about coffee around here.  From the pictures, it doesn't seem like a big difference but in reality it's a huge difference.  Everything is organized now and I did purge some stuff.

Dish cabinet - before and after

Again, looking at the after photo.  Top shelf now has a bin with medicines/vitamins and some empty Gladware containers.  Second shelf holds a bin of sippy cups, a bin of baby bottles, a bin of measuring spoons/cups, and a nifty Tupperware thing that holds bowls that press flat and their lids.  I also have some small plates in there.  Bottom shelf holds plates and bowls.  I purged some plates out of here as well as putting a lot of things that were in here into different places where they made more sense.  I love my wire shelving in this cabinet, which I purchased at Gabriel Brothers for $1.99 each!

Dry goods cabinet - before and after

This is the only cabinet we store food in.  As you can see, things like pasta, taco shells, popcorn, rice.  On the second shelf I have a cardboard box that I keep small items in so they don't get lost in the cabinet, like Jell-O and pudding mixes, bags of dried beans, and cornbread mix.  I keep my spaghetti and quick oats in Tupperware containers.  I am always trying to figure out how best to store bagged pasta.  Any ideas?

Stay tuned next time for the lower cabinets and the dreaded under-the-sink cabinet!

No comments:

Post a Comment